The 20th Commonwealth Games begins on 23 July in Glasgow and Australian audiences will be able to follow all the action on ABC Radio Grandstand.
The ABC Grandstand team will bring audiences all the colour and excitement of the eleven days of competition, plus the Opening and Closing Ceremonies on ABC Local Radio, ABC Grandstand online, digital radio and the mobile app. ABC Radio’s coverage will begin at 6am AEST on Thursday 24 July with coverage of the Opening Ceremony. Live commentary and highlights, including finals, will be on air daily at 3am AEST from Friday 25 July (6pm Glasgow, Thursday 24 July).
Each morning from 7am AEST on Grandstand (via the mobile app, ABC Grandstand online, and digital radio) Francis Leach and the team sum up the day’s events, interview the athletes and throw in a few Scottish tunes with a serve of The Full Scottish Breakfast.
ABC Grandstand’s team includes:
- Gerard Whateley (VIC) – Swimming/Ceremonies
- Debbie Spillane (NSW) – Hockey/Ceremonies
- Quentin Hull (QLD) – Athletics
- Tim Gavel (ACT) – Hockey/Rugby Sevens
- Peter Walsh (SA) – Netball/Ceremonies
- Clint Wheeldon (WA) – Cycling
- Rob Woodhouse – former swimmer and veteran of three Commonwealth Games
- Patrick Johnson – former Commonwealth Games competitor and the only Australian to run 100 metres under ten seconds.
For the duration of the Games, ABC Local Radio Evening and Overnight programs will cross to the Grandstand team for significant events and regular updates. Also online updates will be available by following ABC Grandstand on Facebook, Google+, Instagram and Twitter.
Listeners can tune in on ABC Local Radio nationally, ABC Grandstand online and on the mobile app (http://www.abc.net.au/radio/mobile/) or via ABC Grandstand on digital radio to catch all the action from Glasgow.
ABC Grandstand heads to Scotland for 20th Commonwealth Games